Car accidents can happen in an instant, but their effects can last for days, months, or even years. In the moments and days following an accident, the extent of the damage may not fully settle in. When it’s time to seek help to get compensation for your injuries, Attorney Erika Garnes will be ready.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, Attorney Garnes will help you get the compensation you deserve. Whether the challenges you face are physical, emotional, or financial, Attorney Garnes will work to understand your unique situation and will walk you through the process from start to finish. Injury due to the negligence of others isn’t something you should have to deal with on your own. Attorney Garnes will be your partner as she works through your case and brings you the compensation you deserve.
Through her investigation, Attorney Garnes will determine the events that led to the accident and ensure that the liable party is required to pay adequate compensation.
Settlements and coverage for auto accidents can include:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage: Florida is considered a No-Fault state, this means that once you’re involved in a car accident, you can claim PIP benefits that will cover up to $10,000.00 in medical bills, whether you’re at fault or not.
- Lost Wages: Being out of work after an accident or injury can result in lost wages. A personal injury settlement can require the person at fault to pay for lost wages, including lost future income.
- Property Damage: Property damage to a vehicle or other property involved can fall under the settlement with the liable party paying to replace or repair the damaged property.
- Emotional Harm: In some accidents, the victim is left with emotional harm and may be able to receive compensation for pain and suffering or therapy to handle the emotional issues that arose from the accident.
- Rental Vehicle: Liability insurance often covers the cost of a rental vehicle for one or both parties involved in the accident while their vehicle is being repaired or replaced.
A settlement will depend on the extent of the injury, the damage that occurred, the long-term effects, insurance coverage, and more. Attorney Garnes will work with these factors to get you what you need in order to move forward.
If you’re in an auto accident, make sure to do the following:
Before leaving the scene:
- Assess your condition to note any injuries, pain, or discomfort.
- Call the police to report the incident and request the paramedics, if necessary.
- When the police arrive, fill out the accident report and do not admit fault!
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver regardless of who’s at fault. This information should include:
- Name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- License plate number
- Driver’s license number
- Make, model, and color of the vehicle
- Seek emergency medical attention, if necessary.
After leaving the scene:
- Contact Attorney Garnes IMMEDIATELY after the accident to discuss your case and receive recommendations for what to do moving forward.
- You should always Attorney Garnes before speaking with any insurance companies (including your own)
- Seek non-emergency medical attention within a day or two to assess your injuries and so you have an official record of the incident.
- Keep a record of all doctor visits, medication, and paperwork.