Were you injured while traveling in an Uber or Lyft? Depending on the circumstances, the company may be liable for damages related to your injury. Uber provides insurance for its drivers once they have accepted a passenger trip, so if the Uber driver is at fault, Uber insurance provides liability coverage that replaces the driver’s insurance in the event of an accident. If the other driver is at fault, their insurance will be responsible for the liability coverage.
Even if you are the passenger, make sure to do the following in the event of an accident.
Before leaving the scene:
- Assess your condition to note any injuries, pain, or discomfort.
- Call the police to report the incident and request the paramedics, if necessary.
- When the police arrive, fill out the accident report
- The driver should report the incident to Uber or Lyft.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver regardless of who’s at fault. This information should include:
- Name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- License plate number
- Driver’s license number
- Make, model, and color of the vehicle
- Seek emergency medical attention, if necessary.
After leaving the scene:
- Contact Attorney Garnes to discuss your case and receive recommendations for what to do moving forward BEFORE you speak with any insurance companies
- Seek non-emergency medical attention within a day or two to assess your injuries and to have an official record of the incident.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident and determine if you can or need to make a claim.
Settlements for an Uber or Lyft accident can include:
- Pain and suffering compensation
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses include hospital stays, medications, exams, tests, physical therapy, and more. Settlements can also cover medical accessories, including crutches and walkers.
- Lost Wages: Being out of work after an accident or injury can result in lost wages. A personal injury settlement can require the person at fault to pay for lost wages, including lost future income.
- Emotional Harm: In some accidents, the victim is left with emotional harm and may be able to receive compensation for pain and suffering or therapy to handle the emotional issues that arose from the accident.
If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you are entitled to benefits that will cover your medical expenses and compensation for your pain and suffering. Enlisting the help of an attorney can ensure that you receive these benefits.
Attorney Garnes is a top-rated Florida personal injury lawyer who will take the time to understand your case and the circumstances surrounding it in order to ensure that you get the compensation that you’re entitled to.